Garrity Scholars: St. Mary's Most Prestigious Scholarship
The Garrity Scholars Program is a four-year, full tuition scholarship program offered by St. Mary's Lynn that will be given to approximately ten students entering Grade 9.
Thanks to the generosity of a special donor, St. Mary's launched The Garrity Scholars program in 2018. Click here to view the announcement. The first class of Garrity Scholars began their Freshmen year in Fall 2019.
The Garrity Scholars is a competitive merit award program that recognizes the best and brightest students interested in a transformative, Catholic and STEM focused education offered at St. Mary’s Lynn.
The program is named in honor of Monsignor Paul Garrity, who was the pastor for 18 years at St. Mary’s Parish in Lynn with responsibility for St. Mary’s Marian Division and High School. Under his leadership, St. Mary’s Lynn was transformed and took its rightful place as one of the premier Catholic high schools in the north shore region. Monsignor Garrity is a storied and revered figure in the St. Mary’s community.
The Garrity full tuition scholarship is the most prestigious award offered at St. Mary’s and acknowledges excellence through focus on STEM education, personal leadership qualities, and a commitment to the St. Mary’s pillars of excellence. All hallmarks of the life of Monsignor Garrity.
The scholarship is awarded for the duration of a four-year period of full-time enrollment, and supersedes any previously awarded merit scholarship. The scholarship covers full tuition and mandatory fees for four years.
- Applicants must complete and submit both their Garrity Scholars application and their admission application to St. Mary’s by January 1, 2022.
- Finalists for scholarship consideration will be notified in early January 2022. Recipients will be notified by January 28, 2022.
Students applying for the Garrity Scholars Program must meet the following criteria:
- Apply as a ninth grader for the fall 2021 semester
- Select St. Mary's to receive HSPT score
- Demonstrate a strong grade point average or similar evidence of academic achievement
- Strong curriculum in 6th and 7th grade years, including strong math grades during, or prior to, 8th grade
- Submit the Garrity Scholars Essay
The application consists of two parts: a formal essay and, if selected as a finalist, an interview with a panel of St. Mary’s faculty.
- Essay: Students should submit their essays on their online application by January 1, 2022.
- Interview: Finalists chosen for scholarship consideration will be required to complete an on-campus interview, which will be conducted in January 2022.
Students who meet the Garrity criteria will be part of the St. Mary's Scholars Program. Click here to learn more about this comprehensive program design to prepare our students for college and beyond.